I have had multiple conversation with church leaders today. Â The topic has been the same in every conversation.
Topic: The church needs more money to accomplish their vision
One camp believes, “We are about to turn the corner and things will gradually get better.” Â They say things like, “We have to grow the people who aren’t church people and get them to start giving more. Â I don’t want to scare them off by talking about money too much though.”
The other camp believes, “We need to do something radical to create massive change in the hearts and lives of people financially.” Â They say things like, “I am going to challenge each person to give super generously and I am currently meeting with people are willing to give big gifts.”
I will not say one is right and one is wrong but I will tell you this…
I RARELY SEE CHURCHES “SLOWLY GROW IN THEIR GIVING”.
It usually takes:
1. CATALYTIC jolt to get people to move spiritually.
2. BIG VISION for the future that is huge and takes corporate sacrifice
3. CONNECTION with God very specifically about the heart of generosity
4. URGENT need that without us pulling together we will fail
5. LEADERSHIP from the senior leader who is willing to lose people in the short run so they can accomplish the vision in the long run
Generosity is bred in spiritual growth of your people. Â Comfort will not lead to growth. Â CHALLENGE your people. Â Make them move. Â Give them something to go after. QUIT HOPING IT WILL GET BETTER, START LEADING!